Saturday, October 08, 2005

The west side

Since I have arrived I have had little time to look around LA or Orange County, but last sunday I spent the afternoon down at a couple of local beaches. I drove there without the aid of the 'neverlost' gps device in my car as it is always easy to find the beach in California- just head west until you run into it! This picture is from Huntington beach pier and in the foreground you might just make out surfers who from about halfway down the pier are catching the waves and surfing just a few yards out from the pier. It is really nice to have such a good aerial view of a sport that is usually watched from the shore and I also captured some video on my phone which I will upload at some point.


Working here on Pacific time is hard when you have friends and collegues to contact in Europe and Asia, we have been starting early to keep in touch with support in Germany and I am finishing late as Thailand wakes up just as I get back to the hotel. Like many people today the best way for me to keep in touch (even if they are in the office next door!) is via skype and I have been spreading the word whilst here in America. One thing that is not available on the net in the States is that you do not have access to (even it seems via the bbc website) the England world cup qualifying games.. I mean say you want to watch football to an American and you just cause confusion and then usually slight offence: "that's not football!". So now, armed with my trusty 'neverlost' I am going to hunt down a place showing the game- If i do manage to find a screen with the match then I will post the location for future stranded travellers.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Porter family historian said...

Cool pic of HB, welcome. I'm from the OC. Hope you enjoy your stay.

11:35 pm

 
Blogger BigMangoDave said...

Well I failed to watch the England game but even though we won 1-0 and qualified later (thanks to Holland) from all accounts it was another poor display. I did watch some real-life football however as just next to Balboa pier there was a couple of games of a women's football (or soccer!) league. The standard was very impressive and one game finished 4-2 with some good goals- I certainly didnt expect to see that on the beach today!

10:43 am

 
Blogger tony margetts said...

Hi Dave thanks for the posts, I heard the gane on BBC radio world service, dont know if they have that in the states but a radio must be very cheap over there and you can get the wavelengths on the BBC web-site cheers Yony

8:33 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home